[R-meta] multilevel glmm meta-analysis question

Wed Mar 3 09:59:01 CET 2021

Dear Kayleigh,

Do not use 'weights' in this manner in glmer(). In generalized linear mixed-effects models, we do not specify sampling variances / weights; the model takes care of the appropriate weighting for you. The weights argument also serves a very different function in glmer(). For family=binomial, if 'prevalence' is the proportion of infected cats, then weights should be the actual number of cats studied (so, if 20 out of 100 cats are infected and prevalence = 0.2, then weights = 100 for this study).

The way you are adding random effects to the model leads to crossed random effects. Whether this is appropriate or not (as opposed to using nested random effects) is debatable.

Strictly speaking, this model cannot properly account for the dependence in multiple prevalences (for different parasites) for the same group of cats. If you have prevalence = 0.2 for parasite A and prevalence = 0.2 for parasite B for those 100 cats above, then you do not know if there are 20 cats infected with both parasites, 40 cats are infected (20 with A and 20 with B), or anything in between. Without the raw data, you do not know this. I think one could still go ahead with such an analysis, using a random effect at the study level (as you use) to account for the some of the dependence, but this doesn't fully capture it. The results should therefore be treated with caution.