[R-meta] Multivariate (multi-outcomes) meta-analysis

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Mar 1 16:58:18 CET 2021

HI Maciek,

It sounds like you have a data structure where estimating a full
multivariate model would be pretty challenging. With 21 distinct indices, a
fully multivariate model has 21 mean parameters (average effect size for
each index), 21 variances (one for each index), and 210 (= 21 choose 2)
correlation parameters. (If you used the reduced set of 11 indices, there
would still be 55 correlation parameters to estimate!) Even if you had data
for every index for each of your 110 studies, these model would be
difficult to estimate and I don't think I'd put much stock in the results.

I can think of three routes you might take here:

1) Respond to the reviewer that the multivariate model is a good idea in
principle, but is infeasible for the data you're working with (due to the
above).

2) Find a way to estimate a more constrained version of the multivariate
model. I'm not familiar with the mixmeta syntax, so I'll stick with
metafor. For instance, you could fit a model that has the same correlation
between the random effects for every pair of indices (struct = "HCS" in
metafor::rma.mv()). A step further would be to also constrain the variances
to be identical for every pair of indices (struct = "CS" in metafor::rma.mv()).
Or perhaps there is some intermediate structure that you could motivate
based on what you know about the different physiological indices.

3) Fit the univariate models for each index, but estimate them within one
larger "meta-model" so that you can make statistical comparisons between
the average effects for different indices. I describe this strategy in this
working paper, under the name of the "sub-group correlated effects" working
model: https://osf.io/preprints/metaarxiv/vyfcj/

In addition to these suggestions, you might find the following paper by
Richard Riley to be helpful:
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-985X.2008.00593.x

Kind Regards,
James