[R-meta] Cohen's d in 2-way ANOVAs

David Cicchetti d@v|d@c|cchett| @end|ng |rom @tudent@un|-tueb|ngen@de
Tue Jun 22 18:15:38 CEST 2021

Hi Tobias,

thank you, however I cannot use that because I often do not have
access to means or MSE, also I was looking for a formula if possible.

I have already seen this mail where Wolfgang Viechtbauer exaplained
how to compute Cohen's d of an interaction effect here:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2018-February/000658.html

d = ((mean_A1 - mean_A2) - (mean_B1 - mean_B2)) / sqrt(MSE) = t *
sqrt(1/n_A1 + 1/n_A2 + 1/n_B1 + 1/n_B2).

Would the calculation for main effects look like this?
d = ((mean_A1 + mean_A2) - (mean_B1 + mean_B2)) / sqrt(MSE) = t *
sqrt(1/n_A12 + 1/n_B12)
And is it the same for within and between subject?

However, for these calculations I would need means and the MSE or
t-values, which are often not avalable.
If I have a repeated measures two-way ANOVA with F value, degrees of
freedom and partial eta squared given, it is possible to calculate
cohen's d?

On this site I found a conversion from partial eta to cohen's d via cohen's f.
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/effect-size-relationship-between-partial-eta-squared-cohens-f-and-cohens-d
Would this hold for a repeated measures two-way ANOVAs?

If there is no way to compute cohen's d with the aforementioned
values, what is then the minimum requirement needed in addition to
those values?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
David