[R-meta] Studies with independent samples of participants

Jack Solomon kj@j@o|omon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jun 21 20:13:25 CEST 2021

Hello All,

I have come across a couple of primary studies in my meta-analytic pool
that have used independent samples of participants in them (e.g., high
schoolers & middle schoolers).

Question: I was wondering how exactly I should code these studies to
account for their use of independent samples of participants?

Should I create a new column ('sample') to distinguish between studies'
samples (see below)? OR with just two such multi-sample studies, basically
that is not worth it in which case the question becomes:

Should I code each independent sample as an independent study (which
ignores the correlation between true effect sizes from samples under each
study)? see below.

Thanks, Jack

***consider 'sampel' in coding:
study sample es