[R-meta] escale ROM or SMD

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jul 13 23:25:25 CEST 2021

HI Lukasz,

Regarding question 1 about measurement, I was wondering about whether
proline concentration is on a ratio scale, meaning a scale where ratio
comparisons are meaningful (see eg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_measurement#Ratio_scale). Does a
proline concentration of zero mean that there is no proline accumulation at
all? What are the *units* of proline concentration measurements?

Regarding question 3 about empirical features, I see from Figure 1 that
there seems to be a relationship between the M and the SD---particularly in
control conditions. That would suggest that ROM might be more appropriate
than SMD.

Regarding question 4, heterogeneity, I see in Figure 2 that there is a very
strong relationship between the ES and its sampling variance when using the
SMD metric. That relationship is artificial (see
https://doi.org/10.1002/jrsm.1332). I also see that there is a really
extreme degree of variation in the SMD effect size estimates. Values of 20+
for a SMD are just non-sensical, in my view. In contrast, the ROM estimates
vary over a wide range, but not an absurd one, and their sampling variances
are much more homogeneous (with the exception of the one outlier). All of
this further supports the use of ROM, I think.

James