[R-meta] Construct the covariance-matrices of different effect sizes

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jan 20 17:02:02 CET 2021

Hi Tzlil,

Some responses to your follow-ups:

(1) For the pearson correlations and ICCs, I think the data might need to
include some sort of label that distinguishes unique measures and
time-points. So for example, submax-T1, submax-T2, max-T1, max-T2. Also, if
you could provide a reproducible example with data that someone could
easily read in to R (using e.g., dput()), it will increase the probability
that others will chime in with coding/debugging suggestions. There are some
links to how to do this here:

(2) Yes, impute_covariance_matrix() works just fine with raw mean
differences. The correlation you input into the function corresponds
exactly to the correlation between outcomes.

(3) Thanks for linking to the earlier post. The formula Wolfgang gave is
probably derived by the delta method.

Just to illustrate how using these formulas would work, if assume a
correlation between outcomes of r = 0.7, then that means that the
correlation between raw mean differences estimates should also be 0.7, but
that the correlation between SDLN estimates should be r^2 = 0.49. And the
correlation between ICCs would be something else yet again, according to
the formulas implemented in rcalc(). One implication of this is that if you
want to conduct sensitivity analyses from r = 0.0 to r = 0.9, then the
sensitivity analyses for the raw mean difference estimates should be over
the range r = 0.0 to r = 0.9, but the sensitivity for SDLN values should
run r = 0.0, r = 0.01, r = 0.04, r = 0.09,..., r = 0.81.

James