[R-meta] Help with meta-analisys of variation

Thu Jul 18 14:50:00 CEST 2019

The covariance between two lnSD values depends on the correlation between the two variables (for which you computed the lnSD values) and can be estimated with:

r^2 / (2*(n-1))

where r is the correlation between the two variables. So, you need to know the correlation between the measurements at different stages in order to compute the covariances.

From: Fernando Klitzke Borszcz [mailto:fernandoborszcz using gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 18 July, 2019 14:35
To: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)
Cc: r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-meta] Help with meta-analisys of variation

Dear Professor Wolfgang,

Thank you for your response.

My question is if I should use any value of correlation to determine the variance-covariance matrix in this type of data? I am not sure if I could use a correlation value, because the variances of log-transformed standard deviations (lnSD) are based only on sample size.

Below an example of my data.

    study    yi     vi exercise stage
1      A 2.351 0.0250      row     3
2      A 2.351 0.0250      row     4