[R-meta] metagen / low heterogeneity

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Tue Jan 12 14:21:52 CET 2021

On 11/01/2021 16:45, Sean wrote:
> I apologize for the formatting. Here is the ouput and code again
> below. I think this should be more readable now that I've selected
> plain text.
>
> Michael, well that is good news. If I did have high heterogeneity and
> hadn't planned to use a moderator, does that just mean I should
> consider looking for one? Whereas in my case, I knew what I was
> interested in, so my heterogeneity does not need to be considered as a
> prerequisite?

The crucial thing is the scientific context. I do not work in the same
area as you so my examples are from my field, not yours, but I hope are
helpful.

If the primary studies were all very similar then you would not expect
heterogeneity and you might be prompted to look for explanations for
even mild amounts. For instance if all the primary studies had studied
the same dose of drug in people with very tightly defined illness in
countries with very similar health care symptoms then any heterogeneity
might lead you, post hoc, to find out why.

If on the contrary the studies had examined a complex health care
systems intervention in countries across the globe in patients who might
vary considerably then you would be very surprised not to see
heterogeneity. In that case you would be less inclined to look for
explanations.

If you had a theory that outcomes were related to some other variable
then you might use that as a moderator irrespective of the amount of
heterogeneity. For instance in a study of a skills-based therapy you
might have a theory that outcomes are different now from what they used
to be so you would find it worth while looking at that whatever. For
instance is centres in each study have been doing a particular operation
for different amounts of time do the ones who have been doing it for
longest have have better or worse outcomes.

Michael