[R-meta] metagen / low heterogeneity

Emerson Del Ponte de|ponte @end|ng |rom u|v@br
Mon Jan 11 20:15:36 CET 2021

Dear Sean,

I have been dealing with this kind of data and context (fungicide effect on
plant disease), and I think I know which is the previous paper you are
basing your analyses. Sorry for not replying to your specific questions,
but it seems there are primary aspects to look at before specificities of
the MA outcome.

I would recommend that you give a look at a number of works that followed
in the last decade (in case you didn't do it). I am quite sure that you are
treating several treatments from the same experiment as independent given
your high K - all treatments from the same trial are compared to a common
control. A network MA should be interesting to test. I've used the
arm-based approach in metafor (Wolfgang's help) and the contrast-based in
netmeta (Gerta's help).

Nothing wrong with Hedges G, but I would argue that log ratio is a more
directly interpretable effect size in our area - You really want to know
(as everybody in our field) the percent reduction in disease due to
fungicide use relative to the untreated check. The absolute or standardized
difference can be complicated if your control varies considerably among the
trials. Also, the criteria to classify and interpret Hedges G are not well
established in our field.

If you want to see examples specific for this kind of situation, I have
several codes on my github (check the link to the html report for each of
these):

https://github.com/emdelponte/paper-FHB-mixtures-meta-analysis
https://github.com/emdelponte/paper-fungicides-whitemold
https://github.com/emdelponte/paper-FHB-Brazil-meta-analysis