[R-meta] Effect Sizes From Pretest-Posttest-Control Group Designs and effect sizes from Pretest-Posttest designs

Mon Dec 13 15:36:14 CET 2021

Dear Yingkai,

I don't think there is a single answer here. Of course one can do this -- whether one should in any particular case depends on the circumstances. And not sure why combining effect sizes from pretest-posttest-control group designs and effect sizes from between-group designs is out of the question. In any case, a canonical reference here is:

Morris, S. B., & DeShon, R. P. (2002). Combining effect size estimates in meta-analysis with repeated measures and independent-groups designs. Psychological Methods, 7(1), 105-125. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989x.7.1.105