[R-meta] Distinguishing between the design of longitudinal studies

Reza Norouzian rnorouz|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 31 20:45:50 CEST 2021

Dear Stefanou,

In meta-analysis, we often look for features that are already present
in the published studies. The consequence of this is that we can't,
for example, code for a potential internal validity threat purely
based on the design of study ignoring the entire study that is already
in front of us.

For example, imagine I tell you that your third design has the highest
potential for introducing a "fatigue" factor simply by the way this
design is set up. And as you may know, one of the direct consequences
of such a factor is attrition. So, you would rank studies with this
type of design low on your fatigue moderator.

But how valid that rank-based moderator would be, if a careful
examination of those studies reveals that they have the smallest
amount of attrition among all the design types (Of course, this could
mean many other things, but we should even dig deeper to learn about
them e.g., were participants given any kind of incentives).

Things like carryover effect that you mentioned also require
considering the nature of the dependent variable under study (e.g.,
some cognitive variables are difficult to remember, others are easy to
remember), and how it is measured (e.g., a short test vs. an elaborate
test) and perhaps several other context- and phenomenon-specific
factors. So, even when looking into the details of a study, it's NOT
enough to say study X has had a higher potential for carryover because
the time interval between testing occasion(s) has been shorter than
others, it's not and should not be that simple.

If you don't intend to get into the details of each study to learn
more about these potential threats, then, I would suggest that you
stick with those study-level moderators that could perhaps act as some
sort of a control variable (e.g., # of treatments, or simply
distinguishing between the design types).

In summary, IMHO, your thinking model is very useful when planning for
a future study to guard against threats to internal validity like the
ones I mentioned. But in meta-analysis, we are not planning for any
future studies. We must delve deep into our studies if we intend to
argue for the presence or the lack of such threats (kind of like when
you review a paper submitted for publication).

Best,
Reza