[R-meta] MLMA - shared control group

Tue Aug 31 10:57:06 CEST 2021

It's not clear what exactly you are comparing, but I guess you are comparing impute_covariance_matrix() with the code you found on the metafor website, namely:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:gleser2009

Those are different approaches, so they are not expected to give the same results.

>2) r values are pretty much based on "expert" opinion and faith? We don't have
>tools to assess which value would be the best choice?

The correlations should be based on the actual data, like in this example:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:gleser2009#multiple-endpoint_studies

If you don't know the correlations, then one can make a 'guestimate'. Maybe a few studies do report the correlations, so one can base this guestimate on that.

But no, there isn't really a way of assessing which guestimate is 'best' (well, one can imagine some rather complex methods that might go in this direction, but this is beyond the scope of this discussion).