[R-meta] Difference between univariate and multivariate parameterization

Farzad Keyhan |@keyh@n|h@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Aug 18 21:31:40 CEST 2021

Dear Luke,

In the multivariate specification (model 2), tau^2 = sigma^2_between  +
sigma^2_within. You can confirm that by your two models' output as well.
Also, because rho = sigma^2_between / (sigma^2_between  +  sigma^2_within),
then, the off-diagonal elements of the matrix can be shown to be rho*tau^2
which again is equivalent to sigma^2_between in model 1's matrix.

Note that sampling errors in a two-estimate study could be different hence
appropriate subscripts will be needed to distinguish between them.

Finally, note that even a study with a single effect size estimate gets the
sigma^2_within, either directly (model 1) or indirectly (model 2) which
would mean that, that one-estimate study **could** have had more estimates
but it just so happens that it doesn't as a result of some form of
multi-stage sampling; first studies, and then effect sizes from within
those studies.

I actually raised this last point a while back on the list (
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2021-July/002994.html)
as I found this framework a potentially unrealistic but in the end, it's
the best approach we have.

Cheers,
Fred