[R-meta] 3 candidate random structures

Jack Solomon kj@j@o|omon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Aug 16 19:08:35 CEST 2021

Dear Tim,

To your second question (using struct="GEN"), I believe at least `random =
~ treat_length + outcome | study, struct = "GEN"` (using `treat_length` as
a control variable) is supported by rma.mv.

You can also then turn your correlation estimates (note
that struct="GEN" considers a semi-definite positive structure for the
var-covar matrix of random slopes and intercepts, kind of "UN"ish) into
regression coefficients in which case you essentially can perform a latent
regression (i.e., regression on random effects using any one of them as DV
and one or more of them as IVs).

I'm a bit new to rma.mv and I'm still exploring it myself, but given that
the behavior of random effects under struct="GEN" is apparently similar to
the conventional multilevel models, such a regression can be performed
perhaps using something along the lines of:
https://github.com/rnorouzian/e/blob/master/e.r#L264 .

Then, you can probably also perform statistical significance on the
resultant regression coefficients using some form of bootstrapping like:
https://github.com/rnorouzian/e/blob/master/e.r#L303 .

Generally, such structures help bringing continuous variables more into the
discussion of multilevel meta-regression models which IMHO offers more
opportunities to ask and answer novel questions in meta-analysis. The
trouble, though, as always, is the size of the data needed to support such
models.

Definitely, Wolfgang has more to say about this, as struct="GEN" is as of
yet not documented.

Just my two cents,
Jack