[R-meta] 3 candidate random structures

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Aug 16 16:43:49 CEST 2021

James

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 10:28 PM Timothy MacKenzie <fswfswt using gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear James,
>
> Thank you, this is very helpful to know. Is there currently a way to
> statistically test individual correlations between outcome levels (assuming
> a "UN" structure, say in outcome | study, where the outcome has 3 levels)?

Yes. This can be tested using a likelihood ratio test comparing the full
model to a model with one (or more) of the correlations fixed to specified
values. You can fix these values using the rho argument in rma.mv. See the
section "Fixing Variance Components and/or Correlations" of ?rma.mv.

> Also, do you think that struct="GEN" might also allow such correlations to
> be investigated with more thoroughly? For example, if I specify my random
> part as `random = ~ treat_length * outcome | study, struct = "GEN"` would
> that allow understanding for how the correlations among outcome levels
> change for various `treat_length`?

Does that syntax even work? I'm not sure how you would interpret it.

> Also, in your hypothetical D specification, you suggested `~ outcome |
> interaction(study,gr,time)` as one of the terms, that had me wondering why
> you took `outcome` to be nested in `time` (I always thought the other way
> around i.e., time being nested in outcome).

Either way (outcomes nested in timepoints or timepoints nested in outcomes)
entails some simplifying assumptions. It seems more plausible that there
would be some structured correlation between all of the effect sizes within
a given study (including correlation between effects from different
outcomes at different time points) but I don't think it's possible to fit
something like that with rma.mv().