[R-meta] overall efect size from subgroup analysis

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 28 17:21:58 CEST 2021

Following up on Wolfgang's comments, I think there is one caveat to the
method he's suggested. Doing a fixed effect meta-analysis of the sub-group
average effects will work if the subgroup effects are based on
non-overlapping sets of studies. For example, the following:

Subgroup A Study 1
           Study 3
           Study 4
Subgroup B Study 5
           Study 6
           Study 7
Subgroup C Study 8
           Study 9
           Study 10
           Study 11
           Study 12

However, if the subgroups are comprised of different outcomes from
overlapping sets of studies, then the subgroup average effects are not
independent. Here's an illustration of a data structure with overlapping
subgroups. X indicates that a given study includes an effect size from that
subgroup.

          Subgroup A   Subgroup B   Subgroup C
Study 1        X            X            X
Study 2                     X            X
Study 3        X
Study 4        X                         X
Study 5        X            X            X
Study 6        X            X
Study 7        X                         X
Study 8                                  X

If this is the case, then pooling across subgroups using fixed effect
meta-analysis will give inaccurate standard errors (that will likely be
smaller than the true degree of uncertainty). I don't think there would be
any way to calculate accurate standard errors unless you have access to the
raw effect size data.

James