[R-meta] Meta-Analysis: Proportion in overall survival rate

Nicky Welton N|cky@We|ton @end|ng |rom br|@to|@@c@uk
Thu May 28 13:19:06 CEST 2020

Dear Nelly,

If you are obtaining survival proportions from a Kaplan-Meier curve, then this has adjusted for censoring (which is a good thing). It's best to obtain the standard error for the survival proportion from the Kaplan-Meier curve which accounts for censoring. Of course papers don't usually report this, but you can reconstruct the survival data by scanning in the curves and following the algorithm proposed by Guyot et al (https://bmcmedresmethodol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2288-12-9) to obtain an approximation to the data used to construct the Kaplan-meier curves. This reconstructed data can then be re-analysed to obtain survival proportions and their standard errors at any time point. There is R code to accompany the Guyot algorithm (I can send you this).There is a Stata version available now too (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1536867X1801700402).

Best wishes,

Nicky

-----Original Message-----
From: R-sig-meta-analysis <r-sig-meta-analysis-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of ne gic
Sent: 28 May 2020 12:02
To: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl>
Cc: r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-meta] Meta-Analysis: Proportion in overall survival rate

Dear Wolfgang,

A quick follow up. After meta-analyzing the proportions using a logit transformation using qlogis(p), how I can back transform the proportion to fit the normal range as I get some values below 0 on the forest plot when I directly use the rma object.

forest(pes.da_30plus, xlab = "2-year survival (%)")

Sincerely,
nelly