[R-meta] residual heterogeneity in meta-regression

Tue Mar 24 10:41:23 CET 2020

Dear Daniel,

In my opinion, the best way to express how much heterogeneity there is is to compute a prediction interval for the true effects/outcomes. In its most basic form, this is computed for a random-effects model with:

mu_hat +- 1.96 * sqrt(tau^2_hat),

where mu_hat and tau^2_hat are just the estimates of mu (the average true effect/outcome) and tau^2 (the variance in the true effects/outcomes) and 1.96 is the 97.5% percentile of a standard normal distribution (rounded).

A slightly improved version takes the uncertainty of mu_hat into consideration:

mu_hat +- 1.96 * sqrt(SE[mu_hat]^2 + tau^2_hat),

where SE[mu] is the standard error of mu_hat. This is in fact how predict() computes this interval. See:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/faq#for_random-effects_models_fitt

If the 'Knapp and Hartung method' was used when fitting the model, instead of 1.96, the corresponding percentile of a t-distribution with df=k-1 is used.

This interval can be interpreted in various ways. It can be thought of as an interval that is meant to capture 95% of the true effects/outcomes (in the population of studies). It can also be thought of as an interval that is meant to capture the true effect/outcome of a new study (from the same population of studies) with 95% probability. This is very useful information, because it directly tells us how much true effects/outcomes can vary (in the actual units of the outcome/effect size measure). For example, it might be the case that mu_hat is positive and significantly different from 0 (i.e., true effects/outcomes are *on average* positive), but the prediction interval is so wide such that negative true effects/outcomes *in particular studies* are quite plausible.

I emphasize 'meant to' because, strictly speaking, the interval (computed in the forms above and also when using df=k-2) is not wide enough to really have a 95% capture probability. But for its intended purpose -- to provide a range that reflects how large/small the true effects/outcomes in particular studies might be -- it should be good enough.

For meta-regression models, one can compute such prediction intervals conditional on a particular combination of moderator values (e.g., for studies where mod1 = <something>, mod2 = <something>, ...).