[R-meta] Problems using rma.mh

David Fisher dj||@her81 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jun 15 18:04:10 CEST 2020

Hi Wolfgang,

Aha!  It didn't occur to me that the error might be referring to the
output, rather than to the input.  That makes total sense...and
thankyou for the suggestion to obtain the results directly from the
object!

I have had a play with subsets of studies and with the add(), to() and
drop00 options, and it seems that the following is true:
  a) If the M-H pooling is done using corrected counts [ via e.g.
add=c(0, 0.5) to=c("only0", "only0") ] then the Breslow-Day (+/-
Tarone) statistic is also calculated using corrected counts, and hence
has a defined value;
  b) If effect sizes for the individual studies are *not* calculated
using corrected counts [ again, via add=c(0, 0.5) to=c("only0",
"only0") ]  then the Q statistic is zero/undefined.

Finally, regarding your observation that the Cochran-Mantel-Haenszel
test can still be conducted, even when all studies have zero events in
the same arm:  this is presumably because the CMH test is very similar
to a Peto chi-squared test, which can be fitted in this scenario, e.g.

res.peto <- rma.peto(ai=ai, n1i=n1i, ci=ci, n2i=n2i,
data=dat[which(dat$ai==0),])

Many thanks for your work developing "metafor", and for your time
answering my questions.

Best wishes,

David.