[R-meta] 3-level meta with robust errors

Valeria Ivaniushina v@|v@n|u@h|n@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 2 17:03:21 CET 2020

Dear James,
Thank you!

Attached are the code and the database.
And here is some results

> summary(based_inf)
Multivariate Meta-Analysis Model (k = 17; method: REML)
  logLik  Deviance       AIC       BIC      AICc
-14.2991   28.5983   34.5983   36.9161   36.5983

Variance Components:
            estim    sqrt  nlvls  fixed       factor
sigma^2.1  0.0000  0.0000     12     no     ID_study
sigma^2.2  4.1629  2.0403      5     no  ID_database

Test for Heterogeneity:
Q(df = 16) = 48.1411, p-val < .0001

Model Results:
estimate      se    tval    pval   ci.lb   ci.ub
  2.0905  0.9704  2.1542  0.0468  0.0333  4.1478  *

> coef_test(based_inf, vcov = "CR2",
+            cluster = wb$ID_database)
    Coef. Estimate    SE t-stat d.f. p-val (Satt) Sig.
1 intrcpt     2.09 0.954   2.19 3.91       0.0952    .

I think I found out where our mistake was.

The sandwich correction doesn't calculate Conf Intervals, so we calculated
them using formula: SE*1.96
Stupid, I know.
Still, even now I am not sure how to correctly calculate CI here - could
you please explain?

And another question
There are several methods for outliers detection: Cook distance,
residuals, hat values.  Rather often a study is problematic with one method
but OK with others. Are there any guidelines which studies should be
removed   -- i.e., when at least two methods indicate it as outliers?

Best,
Valeria