[R-meta] Antwort: RE: metafor - averaging over rma result

Mon Oct 28 12:34:36 CET 2019

Dear Stephanie,

Aggregating per disorder would be another option. This isn't all that different from the approach I described below, except that it allows tau^2 to differ per disorder, while the approach I described assumes a common tau^2 regardless of the disorder. But one can allow tau^2 to differ across disorders as well:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:comp_two_independent_estimates

To use the same example:

library(metafor)

dat <- dat.bourassa1996

# calculate log(OR) and corresponding sampling variances
dat <- escalc(measure="OR", ai=lh.le, bi=lh.re, ci=rh.le, di=rh.re, data=dat, subset=sex=="combined")
dat

# fit model
res1 <- rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ eye_assess - 1, data=dat)
res1

# allow tau^2 to differ across groups
res2 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ eye_assess - 1, random = ~ eye_assess | sample, struct="DIAG", data=dat)
res2

# fit model per group
res3 <- lapply(split(dat, dat$eye_assess), function(x) rma(yi, vi, data=x))

# compare coefficients
cbind(coef(res1), coef(res2), sapply(res3, function(x) coef(x)))

# compare tau^2 estimates
cbind(res1$tau2, res2$tau2, sapply(res3, function(x) x$tau2))

The minor differences in res2 and res3 are due to slight differences in the optimization methods.

I assume your overall model doesn't allow for different tau^2 values per disorder, so it is basically this:

res4 <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat)
res4

One could also make the argument that the most sensible thing is to fit a model assuming a common tau^2, but fixing the tau^2 to the one from the overall model:

res5 <- rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ eye_assess - 1, data=dat, tau2=res4$tau2)

The reason is that one can then meta-analyze the coefficients from that model and obtain the the same results as the ones from the overall model:

rma(coef(res5), vi=diag(vcov(res5)), method="FE")

(things like I^2, H^2, and the Q-test are different, but the rest is the same)