[R-meta] Question about obtaining correlation coefficient

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 23 18:20:52 CEST 2019

Joanne,

If you only have the M and SD of each variable, then no it is not possible
to calculate their correlation.

If you have the above, plus the M and SD of the difference between the two
variables, i.e., mean and SD of (B - A), then you can back out the
covariance and correlation. Or if you have M and SD of the sum (A + B), but
it seems less likely that the sum would be reported.

James