[R-meta] A question regarding the 'metafor package' : Standardized regression coefficients as outcome measures

Sat Dec 14 14:30:05 CET 2019

Thanks for the clarification. Some further thoughts based on that:

Falconer's formula uses ICCs, so I assume rMZ and rDZ are also ICCs. The large sample sampling variance of an ICC (for the case where we have k=2 observations in each class) is essentially the same as for a Pearson product-moment correlation, so approximately (1-rho^2)^2 / (n-1), which we can estimate with (1-r^2)^2 / (n-1). So, the sampling variance of h^2 is:

Var[h^2] = 4 * ((1-r_MZ^2)^2 / (n_MZ-1) + (1-r_DZ^2)^2 / (n_DZ-1)),

where n_MZ and n_DZ are the number of monozygotic and dizygotic twin pairs. So, you could meta-analyze the h^2 values using the above as the sampling variance.

If you prefer to meta-analyze h (i.e., sqrt(h^2)) values, then the sampling variance of that could be estimated with

Var[h] = Var[h^2] / (4 * h^2).

Alternatively, one could apply Fisher's r-to-z transformation to the ICC values, which is also the variance-stabilizing transformation for ICCs (for the case k=2 case; in other cases, the equation for the variance-stabilizing transformation is slightly different). So, let z_MZ = 1/2 ln((1 + r_MZ) / (1 - r_MZ)) and r_DZ analogously. Fisher found that the sampling variance of an ICC for k=2 is well approximated by 1/(n-3/2), so we have:

Var[z_MZ] = 1/(n_MZ - 3/2)
Var[z_DZ] = 1/(n_DZ - 3/2)

and so the sampling variance of 2*(z_MZ - z_DZ) is:

Var[2*(z_MZ - z_DZ)] = 4 * (1/(n_MZ - 3/2) + 1/(n_DZ - 3/2)).

The advantage of this approach is that the sampling variance estimates are much more accurate and the variance-stabilizing transformation also has normalizing properties. However, 2*(z_MZ - z_DZ) is not h^2 and one cannot back-transform 2*(z_MZ - z_DZ) back to h^2 (one cannot simply apply the reverse transformation to 2*(z_MZ - z_DZ) to obtain h^2). So, while this approach might be preferrable from a statistical point of view, it doesn't actually allow you to estimate the average h^2 (or h). However, for testing whether the average h^2 is 0, this would be the better approach (since testing 2*(z_MZ - z_DZ) = 0 is the same as testing h^2 = 0).

An interesting alternative approach would be to use a bivariate meta-analysis model for z_MZ and z_DZ (and since the two groups - monozygotic and dizygotic twin pairs - are independent, the sampling errors for the two values within each study are independent). Based on this, you would obtain estimates of the average z_MZ and the average z_DZ, which can both be back-transformed to ICCs (applying the usual back-transformation) and then one can compute h^2 (or h) based on the back-transformed values. This approach is essentially the same as the bivariate approach of van Houwelingen et al. (2002), although their application is on meta-analyzing log odds ratios. See:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:vanhouwelingen2002