[R-meta] Meta analysis of probability values (Ruscio's A/CLES)

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Sep 13 20:10:41 CEST 2018

Ian,

Ruscio's A is equivalent to the non-overlap of all pairs (Parker & Vannest,
2009) from the single-case research literature, and it has various other
names from the medical statistics literature (stochastic superiority index,
ordinal dominance, etc.). In the latter context, there's a paper by Ryu &
Agresti (2008) that looks a little bit at a fixed-effect meta-analysis
model for A (or actually for a generalization of A). Their idea is to use a
generalized linear model with a logit link. This could be extended to a
generalized linear mixed model to capture true heterogeneity in the effect
size parameters.

A simpler thing to do would be to just use a logit transformation of A and
work out (or bootstrap) the standard error of the transformed ES estimate
(see Mee, 1990 for helpful theory here). A problem with this approach is
that in practice the estimates are very often at ceiling of 1 and logit(1)
= infinity.

James

Mee, W. (1990). Confidence intervals for probabilities and tolerance
regions based on a generalization of the Mann-Whitney statistic. Journal of
the American Statistical Association, 85(411), 793–800.
https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1990.10474942

Parker, R. I., & Vannest, K. J. (2009). An improved effect size for
single-case research: Nonoverlap of all pairs. Behavior Therapy, 40(4),
357–67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2008.10.006

Ryu, E., & Agresti, A. (2008). Modeling and inference for an ordinal effect
size measure. Statistics in Medicine, 27(10), 1703–1717.
https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.3079