[R-meta] How to conduct a meta-analysis on multiple-treatment studies with a repeated measure designs?

Gabriele Midolo g@briele@midolo @ending from gm@il@com
Tue May 15 13:25:18 CEST 2018

 Hi Koenraad,

I agree with what Michael put above.
Not sure this is what you are looking for, but I posted a similar question
some time ago and got a code from Wolfgang to build variance-covariance
matrix
based on Lajeunesse (2011) *Ecology*, 92(11), pp. 2049–2055:

calc.v <- function(x) {
   v <- matrix(x$SD_C[1]^2 / (x$N_C[1] * x$X_C[1]^2), nrow=nrow(x),
ncol=nrow(x))
   diag(v) <- x$vi
}

V <- bldiag(lapply(split(dat, dat$common_ID), calc.v))

Where 'common_ID' is the column that codes groups of effect sizes that
share the mean ( 'X_C' ), standard deviation ( 'SD_C' ),and n ('N_C') of a
control group.
When calling rma.mv(), V is what you should then give as the second
argument instead of vi.

You should also be able to deal with repeated measure over time by adding a
nested element ( e.g. "sampling year") to the multi-level structure of your
model in rma.mv (something like "random = ~ Study / year / ID "), but I
could be wrong here...

Cheers,
Gabriele