[R-meta] Between study correlation between two different outcomes

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Wed May 9 10:46:02 CEST 2018

Dear Matthias,

Please keep the list in CC when replying.

V should have the sampling *variances* along the diagonal. And yes, the off-diagonal values will be the covariances. Since you have two values per study, V will therefore be block-diagonal with 2x2 blocks along the diagonal. So your case is basically the same as this one:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:berkey1998

The issue of missing information about the covariances has been discussed on this mailing list quite extensively, so it would be good to browse through the archives.

One solution you will find mentioned there is ignoring the covariances (i.e., assuming that they are 0) and then using cluster-robust inference methods. This approach should be ok when interest is only on the fixed effects of the model. In your case, this approach is *NOT* appropriate, since you are specifically interested in the correlation between the random effects. If you assume that the covariances between the sampling errors is 0, then this will (usually) drive up the covariance between the random effects, which is going to lead to an overestimate of the correlation between the random effects. The cluster-robust approach fixes up the standard errors of the fixed effects, but won't do anything to correct for the bias in the estimated correlation between the random effects.

So, if you do not have any information to compute the covariances, you will have to make an educated guess and then do a sensitivity analysis.

Using the Berkey et al. (1998) data as an example, here is an illustration of what this might look like:

library(metafor)

### load data
dat <- get(data(dat.berkey1998))

cors <- seq(0, .99, length=100)
rhos <- rep(NA, length(cors))

for (j in 1:length(cors)) {

   print(j)

   ### construct V matrix with guestimated correlation
   V <- bldiag(lapply(split(dat[,c("v1i", "v2i")], dat$trial), function(vi) {vi[1,2] <- vi[2,1] <- sqrt(vi[1,1] * vi[2,2]) * cors[j]; as.matrix(vi)}))

   ### multiple outcomes random-effects model
   res <- rma.mv(yi, V, mods = ~ outcome - 1, random = ~ outcome | trial, struct="UN", data=dat)
   rhos[j] <- res$rho

}

plot(cors, rhos, type="o", pch=19)

So what I am doing here is constructing the V matrix based on the sampling variances and different assumed values for the correlation between the sampling errors (cors). Then I fit the model and save the correlation between the random effects (rhos). As you can see in the plot, as I assume a higher value for cor, the value for rho goes down. Assuming a correlation of 0 leads to an estimate of rho equal to 0.78. On the other hand, assuming a correlation of 0.9 leads to an estiamte of rho equal to 0.36. That's quite different.

I don't know to what extent rho will depend on the assumed correlation for your data. Also, I used a very wide range for 'cors' just for illustration purposes. In practice, you should be able to narrow down the range a bit more.