[R-meta] Between study correlation between two different outcomes

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu May 3 19:44:56 CEST 2018

Dear Matthias,

Can you explain the data structure a bit more? I assume you have two rows for each level of 'ID', the first row for outcome 1 and the second row for outcome 2 and that 'type_outcome' is a dummy variable to indicate the outcome. Is that correct?

Then the output should include the correlation between the underlying true effects (rho). You can get a CI for this with the confint() function. To test its significance, you can conduct a likelihood ratio test. This should do it:

rp <- rma.mv(yi, vi, data=pd, mod = ~ factor(type_outcome) -1, random= ~ type_outcome | ID)
rp0 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, data=pd, mod = ~ factor(type_outcome) -1, random= ~ type_outcome | ID, rho=0)
anova(rp, rp0)
confint(rp, rho=1)

Two notes:

The model you are fitting uses struct="CS" by default. This assumes that the amount of heterogeneity is the same for the two outcomes, which may not be appropriate. So you might want to use struct="UN".

Also, I assume the two outcomes are measured in the same subjects. In that case, the sampling errors of the two outcomes are correlated. So the V matrix (the second argument for the rma.mv()) function is not diagonal, but also should include the covariances. If you do not account for this, the correlation between the underlying true effects is very likely an overestimate.