[R-meta] Should I fit both the only-intercept and the meta-regression?

Gabriele Midolo gabriele.midolo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 09:46:39 CET 2018

 Hi Luca,

In my opinion, and based on what you described, this is what the estimate
of model B seems to suggest (i.e. that the estimated effect size is not
significantly different from 0 when the moderator has a low value). I
assume the moderator you are using is a continuous variable, but to
visualize/address it differently, you might also subset the variable to
more levels and then build a  so-called forest plot to see how the
significance of pooled effect size changes along the levels. There is a
nice example of this in an ecological meta-analyisis conducted by
Shulte-Uebbing and de Vries (2017) (Figure 2) (
https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.13862).
Hope you will get extra comments from other people too.

Good luck with your work!
Gabriele