[R-meta] Should I fit both the only-intercept and the meta-regression?

Luca Santini luca.santini.eco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 17:31:53 CET 2018

Hi Gabriele,

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. This is useful and makes sense to me. My objective is two-folds: test whether the summary effect size is different from 0 (and goes in the expected direction) and test whether the variability in the effect size could arise from the effect of a variable (my moderator). So probably the two-step approach is what I need.
However I am still unclear about the interpretation of my metaregression result. If the intercept of model B becomes significant only when the moderator is included, can I conclude the hypothesis I’m testing with the only-intercept model is supported only under certain conditions (low values of the moderator variable)?
Thanks

Luca