[R-meta] Unimodal relationship?

Michael Dewey lists at dewey.myzen.co.uk
Sat Mar 10 12:06:39 CET 2018

You have a number of options:

1 - if you genuinely believe it is a curved relationship then you could
include a quadratic term in the model as well as the linear one. You
either include I(CNr^2) in the formula or use poly(). The advantage of
this is that it is simple and people think they understand the
coefficient. The disadvantage is that polynomial fits are influenced by
the glbal data rather than by locally and they go off to plus and minus
infinity at the extremes. It is important to include the linear term as
well and test both linear and quadratic together.

2 - if you believe it is really two linear segments with a break-point
you can fit it as such. The advantage of this is that it may be more
credible in some applications, the disadvantage is that if you also try
to estimate the break-point it becomes more complicated and also more
data-driven. If you want to do this searching for "broken stick" should
find suggestions.

Michael