[R-meta] Violation in non-independece of errors (head to head studies and mutlilevel meta-analysis)?

Emily Finne emily.finne at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Mar 5 17:12:45 CET 2018

Dear Wolfgang,

may I just chimp into your conversation, since after reading it, I am
getting quite uncertain about our own analysis...

We have a combination of studies with multiple treatments compared to
the same control group (in some studies) and of 2 different outcome
measures (but also only in a subset of the studies, i.e. one outcome was
present in all studies, the second was additionally present in a subset
of studies). We first looked at the overall effect and in a next step
tested different moderators.

We followed a multivariate approach with rma.mv and used the mutivariate
parametrization as described in the konstantopoulos2011 example on the
metafor website. So we have:

random = ~ Outcome | study

However,  we also have studies with multiple treatment groups. After
reading your example code (from you reply below), I am not sure if it
would be correct to add another random effect for each effect size, i.e.

random = ~ Outcome | study/id following your example below.

We did not do that, because we thought that with Outcome as inner factor
we have added random variation between the different effect sizes within
each study (for those cases where more than one effect size is included).

After trying out  random = ~ Outcome | trial/id, however, we get a
different (higher) overall effect.

And after reading the website example again, I also compared the results
for a three level (random = ~ 1 | study/Outcome) versus a multilevel
parametrization (random = ~ Outcome | study).

In fact, these results also differ, and the overall estimated effect
size for the three-level model is (in terms of robust CIs very nearly)
the same as for the model with random = ~ Outcome | study/id.

Are we making a mistake if we ignore the additional "id" level random
effect? Or do we add this random effect mistakenly twice, since we
already have incorporated random varation within the studies by using
Outcome as inner factor?

There are, in fact, 2 studies which had both: 2 outcomes but also 2 or 3
treatment groups. So this may be the part we missed so far by ignoring
"id" as additional level?

We have 6 studies which had both outcomes but only one treatment group.
I am therefore not sure if we would overparameterize if we include "id",
because these trials have two lines in the dataset (2 ids) that also
stand for the 2 Outcomes.

The variance-covariance-matrix includes covariances for different
outcomes within the same study, for different treatment groups within
one study or for both, as appropriate. The profile likelihood plots for
our orignal multivariate (~ Outcome | study) model looked fine.

Or would it be better to stick to the three level model?  - We describe,
but not further analyze or discuss, differences between both outcomes,
because both, though one gives a bit higher estimates, intend to measure
the same outcome by different instruments. For the analysis of
moderators which is our main question it makes more sense to look at
only one moderator effect instead of one for each outcome measure, since
only some studies used both outcome measures. But of course, we would
like to take account of the fact that different outcome measures were used.

Would a change in the strategy likely result in changes of the fixed
effects of moderators?

I hope it is to some extent clear what I mean.  Any help would be very
much apreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Emily