[R-meta] Violation in non-independece of errors (head to head studies and mutlilevel meta-analysis)?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Mar 5 10:12:57 CET 2018

Dear Natan,

If you reuse the information from a placebo group to compute multiple effects (i.e., treatment 1 vs placebo, treatment 2 vs placebo, etc.), then this automatically induces dependency in the sampling errors of the estimates. Code to compute the covariance for various effect size measures can be found here:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:gleser2009

So, you need to construct the full V matrix, use rma.mv(), and also include appropriate random effects (at least for studies and for each row of the dataset) in the model. So, something like this:

dat$id <- 1:nrow(dat)
res <- rma.mv(yi, V, mods = ~ <whatever fixed effects you think are needed>,
              random = ~ 1 | study/id, data=dat)

I am a bit confused about:

>We are trying to avoid network meta-analysis, given we want our results
>to be adjusted by several moderators that affect antidepressant response.

Why do you think that network meta-analysis is not compatible with 'adjustment by moderators'?