[R-meta] Question regarding Generalized Linear Mixed-effects Model for Meta-analysis

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Jan 3 18:59:36 CET 2018

Hi James,

I tried to be clever and derived it myself. But now that I had a bit more time to think about this, I don't think it is applicable for these purposes. The equation gives an estimate of the sampling variance of p if we would repeatedly observe the performance of the same n individuals; that is, under repeated observations, their p_i values would differ, but it assumes that the underlying true probabilities stay the same across repeated observations. But the more appropriate sampling variance would be for repeated observations of n new individuals and their true probabilities would change across repeated observations. The latter type of sampling variance is indeed just estimated by s^2 / n.

So, Aki, please ignore my previous mail. Well, except that you can still analyze ln(p/(1-p)). And the sampling variance of ln(p/(1-p)) would then be estimated with v = 1/(p*(1-p))^2 * s^2 / n.