[R-meta] How to deal with "dependent" Effect sizes?

James Pustejovsky jepusto at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 18:19:49 CET 2018

I interpreted Angeline's original message as describing the data structure
for one of the papers included in the meta-analysis, but I assume that the
meta-analysis includes more than a single paper with three samples.
Angeline, do you know (yet) the total number of papers from which you draw
effect size estimates? And the number of distinct samples reported in those
papers?

Incidentally, some colleagues and I have been looking at the techniques
that have been used in practice to conduct meta-analyses with dependent
effect sizes (across several different journals in psychology, education,
and medicine). Along the way, we're noting a number of ways in which the
reporting of such studies could be improved. One basic thing that we'd love
to see consistently reported is the total number of studies, the total
number of (independent) samples, and the total number of effect size
estimates (preferably also the range) after all inclusion/exclusion
criteria have been applied. For instance, fill in the blank:

The final sample consisted of XX effect size estimates, drawn from XX
> distinct samples, reported in XX papers/manuscripts. Each paper reported
> results from between 1 and XX samples (median = XX) and contributed between
> 1 and XX effect size estimates (median = XX).