[R-meta] Percent Correct as outcome variable

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Feb 5 15:06:44 CET 2018

M_X and M_Y are mean proportions. So we know that as M_X gets close to 0 or 1, the variance must decrease and in fact must be 0 if M_X is equal to 0 or 1. On the other hand, for values of M_X around 0.5, the variance should tend to be larger.

You might want to plot M_X against Var(X) (or SD(X)) for those studies where both M_X and Var(X) are known to see what the relationship is. It should look something like this:

Var(X)
   |    ***
   |  ** * **
   | * * ** **
   0          1

The number of items is also a factor here. The variance between the observed proportions is a function of between-person differences in the person's underlying true proportions and variance due to differences between the observed proportions and the underlying true proportions. The latter variance will decrease as the number of items increases. So at least part of the differences in Var(X) across studies can be accounted for by the number of items.

So in the end, if you want to try something a bit more sophisticated than just plugging in one best guess, you could try to fit a regression model to predict Var(X) based on M(X) (allowing for a curvlinear relationship) plus the number of items (or some function thereof like 1/(number of items)) as predictors (and maybe interaction terms). If it turns out that Var(X) can be predicted quite well based on such a model, you could then impute missing Var(X) values for studies where you only know M(X) and the number of items. The same would go for Var(Y).

I am actually currently working on a meta-analysis where the same issue has come up. I find exactly the curvlinear relationship as described above in these data (I use SD(X) on the y-axis). The model with M(X) and M(X)^2 as predictors gives me an R^2 of 0.31. Adding 1/(number of items) as predictor increases this to R^2 = 0.44. I have some more relevant predictors that push R^2 easily above 0.5. So I am quite confident that one can get fairly good predicted values for studies where Var(X) is missing using such an approach.