[R-meta] Post-hoc weighted analysis based on number of observations

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Sun Feb 4 13:40:03 CET 2018

Just to follow-up on this briefly, see my responses further below.

In rma.mv(), you have to specify all random effects you want to include. You were fitting RE models earlier, which have a random effect corresponding to each row of the dataset. If you want to include 'Biome' as a random effect, you have to *add this* on top of the random effect for each row. So if anything, it should be:

dat$id <- 1:nrow(df)
meta <- rma.mv(es, var, data=df, method="ML", random= ~1|Biome/id, mods= ~ 1 + precipitation + temperature)

See: http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:konstantopoulos2011#a_common_mistake_in_the_three-level_model

>As I have data for temperature, precipitation, and biome type for
>virtually all points on Earth, I have upscaled this effect and standard
>error (SE) globally, creating a gridded map of the effect and SE:
>
>pred <- predict(meta, newmods = cbind(s.df$precipitation,
>s.df$temperature),
>random= ~1|s.df$Biome)

predict() does not have a 'random' argument, so "random= ~1|s.df$Biome" does nothing.