[R-meta] Accounting for uncertainty in a mixed-effects regression

Cesar Terrer Moreno cesar.terrer at me.com
Mon Feb 5 13:26:19 CET 2018

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, including “Biome” as a moderator seems like a reasonable approach to force the model to predict larger SE values when the sample size in a certain biome is low.

My model would thus be:

ECMmv <- rma.mv(es, var, data=ecm.df, mods= ~ 1 + MAP + MAT*CO2dif + Biome)

Biome has six levels:
> levels(s.df$Biome)
[1] "Grassland"        "Boreal_Forest"    "Cropland"         "Shrubland"
[5] "Temperate_Forest" "Tropical_Forest"

Now I don’t know how to use the predict function using a dataset that includes data for all predictors on a per pixel basis:

> head(s.df)
         x      y temperature precipitation     Biome CNr
1 -179.875 89.875          NA            NA Grassland  NA
2 -179.625 89.875          NA            NA Grassland  NA
3 -179.375 89.875          NA            NA Grassland  NA
4 -179.125 89.875          NA            NA Grassland  NA
5 -178.875 89.875          NA            NA Grassland  NA
6 -178.625 89.875          NA            NA Grassland  NA

CO2inc <- 300 # ppm

ECMpred.mv <- predict(ECMmv,
                      newmods = cbind(s.df$precipitation, s.df$temperature, CO2inc, s.df$temperature*CO2inc,s.df$Biome))

How would you configure “predict” to predict ES and SE per row as a function of Biome type?
Thanks a lot
César