[R-meta] Accounting for uncertainty in a mixed-effects regression

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Sun Feb 4 13:57:45 CET 2018

Yes, I just wanted to tie up those loose ends before getting to the more recent discussion.

As James indicated, you cannot predict for a level that was not included in the original dataset. Also, factors are turned into a bunch of dummy variables, so if you want to use predict(), you have to specify the values of the dummy variables instead of including a factor/character variable in 'newmods'. See:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:testing_factors_lincoms

As for the actual problem:

In levels of 'Biome' with a small number of studies, the SE should tend to be larger (all else equal, a larger k for a level will lead to a decrease in the SE for the level). So in that sense, the model should reflect the larger uncertainty in levels of 'Biome' with little information.

For example:

library(metafor)
dat <- get(data(dat.bcg))
dat <- escalc(measure="RR", ai=tpos, bi=tneg, ci=cpos, di=cneg, data=dat.bcg)
res <- rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ alloc - 1, data=dat)
res
plot(c(table(dat$alloc)), res$se, pch=19)

So, before thinking about other methods, how does that pan out in your data?