[R-meta] Quick question about multiple independent samples within one study

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Dec 13 16:35:16 CET 2018

Anna-Lena,

I agree with Wolfgang's suggestion to fit a three-level random effects
model. A small additional suggestion: to directly answer the question you
posed, you could also fit a regular random effects model, treating each
sample as independent. They you could compare the two models with a
likelihood ratio test to determine whether there is dependence between
samples nested within studies (that is, whether the study-level variance
component is positive).

James