[R-meta] Comparing dependent, overlapping correlation coefficients

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Aug 10 17:06:48 CEST 2018

Anna-Lena,

The approach that you suggested (putting the data in "long" format and
defining an indicator variable for whether Y or Z is the correlate) is just
what I would recommend. However, there is a complication in that the
estimates r_XY and r_XZ are correlated (correlated correlation
coefficients...say that six times fast!), and the degree of correlation
depends on r_YZ.

1) If you have extracted data on r_YZ then you could use this to compute
Cov(r_XY, r_XZ) and then do a multivariate meta-analysis. See discussion
here:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2018-January/000483.html
And this function for computing the required covariance matrices:
https://gist.github.com/wviechtb/700983ab0bde94bed7c645fce770f8e9
There are at least three further alternatives that might be simpler:

2) If you have r_YZ you could use it to compute the sampling variance of
the difference between r_XY and r_XZ, that is:

Var(r_XY - r_XZ) = Var(r_XY) + Var(r_XZ) - 2 * Cov(r_XY, r_XZ)

You could then do a univariate meta-analysis on the difference between
correlations.

3) If you do not have r_YZ then you won't be able to estimate Cov(r_XY,
r_XZ) very well. You could make a guess about r_YZ and then follow approach
(1) or (2) above, using cluster-robust variance estimation to account for
the possibly mis-estimated sampling-variance covariance matrix.

4) Or you could ignore the covariance between r_XY and r_XZ entirely, fit
the model to the long data as you describe above, and use cluster-robust
variance estimation (clustering by sample) to account for the dependence
between r_XY and r_XZ. This is the quickest and dirtiest approach, and the
first thing I would try in practice before moving on to the more refined
approaches above.

James