[R-meta] Three-level meta-analysis of response ratios when there is more than one "control group"

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Apr 12 00:03:41 CEST 2018

Hi Gabriele,

You should compute the covariances as described in Lajeunesse (2011). See eq (8). For these toy data, this would be:

dat <- read.csv("dat_GM.csv")

calc.v <- function(x) {
   v <- matrix(x$SD_C[1]^2 / (x$N_C[1] * x$X_C[1]^2), nrow=nrow(x), ncol=nrow(x))
   diag(v) <- x$vi
}

V <- bldiag(lapply(split(dat, dat$commonControl_ID), calc.v))

V is the var-cov matrix of the sampling errors. When using rma.mv(), this is what you should give as the second argument.

You may also want to take a look at:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:gleser2009

So, in your case:

rma.mv(yi, V, random = ~ 1 | Study/commonControl_ID/effect_ID, data=dat)