[R-meta] Three-level meta-analysis of response ratios when there is more than one "control group"

Gabriele Midolo gabriele.midolo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:20:30 CEST 2018

Hi James (all),

Thanks again for your exhaustive answer.
Sorry if I insist, but I still did not understand why multi-level modelling
via rma.mv is not a good option to deal with non-independence in my case
(or maybe I missed something from your email?). I had a read to Lajeunesse
(2011) and Lajeunesse (2016) [here, he describes a practical example in R
on to build variance covariance matrix when you have multiple treatments
and one control and use them with metafor]. However, I saw e.g. in Van den
Noortgate et al (2013) that such issue can be dealt with multiple-level
meta-analytic approaches too (?), or at least that is my interpretation.

So, based on Lajeunesse's example, I have simulated data that could
potentially reflect the data of my meta-analysis (I took the liberty to
attach these, hope it is not an issue with the rules of r-sig-meta-analysis
mailing list).
Here I have three studies that report treatment and control change (X_T and
X_C, respectively). The yi and vi were calculated with the "ROM" option in
escalc().
If I had a case where yi of each study shares the same (only one) control,
I would fit the model with following:

"res1<-rma.mv(yi,vi,data=dat,random=~ 1 | Study/effect_ID)"

However, I should account for the fact that I have multiple control group
for each yi in each study, so wouldn't be correct to add a third level
"commonControl_ID"? i.e.:

"res2<-rma.mv(yi,vi,data=dat,random=~ 1 | Study/commonControl_ID/effect_ID)"

Which should be identical to:

"res3<-rma.mv(yi,vi,data=dat,random=list(~ 1 | effect_ID, ~ 1 |
commonControl_ID, ~ 1 | Study))"

(... at least, the model output based on my data example looks like they
are). Or maybe all of what I have put above does not make sense and I am
misunderstanding the usage of multi-level modeling?

Thanks for your patience,
Gabriele