[R-meta] question regarding metafor and OR

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Sep 27 23:10:14 CEST 2017

Dear Sandro,

I assume you mean that you have fitted a model with *log odds ratios* and now you want to fit a model directly to the odds ratios.

Why would you want to fit a model to the odds ratios? Odds ratios are not symmetric around 1, so results are going to be non-sensical (the average of OR = 2.0 and OR = 0.5 is not 1 but 1.25, so even though the two odds ratios are exact opposites of each other, their average yields a value above 1). Also, odds ratios do not have a normal sampling distribution (not even approximately), so model assumptions are therefore violated.