[R-meta] Quick question about the metafor package: log-odds with rma()

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Sun Sep 17 20:05:18 CEST 2017

Assuming the studies are not small, it will probably make very little difference whether you pool the (log) odds ratios via a meta-analysis or whether you pool the values by using a combined dataset (using study as a fixed/random effect). The advantage of using the raw data (if available) is that one can examine subject-level predictors (e.g., the age of each subject) while a 'standard' meta-analysis would only allow you to examine study-level predictors (e.g., mean age). But if one isn't interested in subject-level predictors, then power is more or less the same (for certain outcomes, like the mean difference, it is the same).

> > Given this, in R, I am using the metafor function rma(yi, vi, ...) where
> > yi=estimates of log-odds, and vi=standard errors ensuing from the glm
> > models, using the Hartung-Knapp correction. And I would like to know if
> > using log-odds as effect size estimates is appropriate.

The second argument of rma() (called 'vi') is for the *sampling variances*, not the standard errors. If you have the standard errors (square root of the sampling variances), you can use rma(yi, sei=SE), assuming the variable with the standard errors is called 'SE'.

That aside, yes, you can just pass log odds ratios and corresponding sampling variances (or standard errors) to rma(). For once, it is that simple.