[R-meta] Standard error of the weighted mean in Metafor

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Sep 7 10:03:21 CEST 2017

If you are worried that the standard Wald-type test/CI (which is in essence what equation 6 gives you) does not provide valid inferences due to small k, then you can also use the Knapp and Hartung method (i.e, use argument test="knha"), which has repeatedly been shown to have pretty much nominal statistical properties (i.e., correct Type I error rate at the desired alpha level and correct coverage probability of the CI). The Knapp and Hartung method also can be used when fitting meta-regression models (as opposed to equation 7, whose generalization to models with moderators eludes me).

However, all of this is only relevant in the context of random/mixed-effects models. Loren, you mentioned fitting a fixed effect model. In that case, equation 6 is perfectly fine and there is no need for any adjustments.