[R-meta] Awkward results while conducting a Meta Analytic Reliability Generalization study by metafor package

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Oct 26 10:49:57 CEST 2017

Dear Davut,

The sampling variance (and hence standard error) of measure "AHW" is a function of the value of alpha itself. Therefore, it is not all that surprising that there might be correlation between the (transformed) alpha values and the sampling variances / standard errors.

This is a general problem that comes up with all kinds of measures: The sampling variances are, by construction, often correlated with the estimates, which can easily lead to spurious relationships, suggesting potential publication bias. Therefore, some have suggested not to look for an association between the estimates and their sampling variances / standard error, but between the estimates and the sample sizes (or some transformation thereof).

For measure "ABT", the sampling variances are not a function of the alpha values, so this issue does not apply here. Therefore, I might be inclined to trust the results from the regression/rank correlation tests for this measure more than the ones you got with measure "AHW".

For regtest(), you can also choose to use a different 'predictor' (including the sample size, the inverse sample size, the square root transformed sample size, and the inverse of the square root transformed sample size). See help(regtest).

I assume the funnel plot is based on measures "ABT". By default, the plot is drawn based on the transformed values and those are not constrained to be <= 1.