[R-meta] Meta-analysis Hedges g - comparisons with same placebo

Gerta Ruecker ruecker at imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Oct 18 10:40:35 CEST 2017

Dear Roberto,

it is a network meta-analysis what you are planning? Do you think of
multi-arm studies including a placebo group? If so, and if it is the
same placebo that is compared to several antidepressants, then I think
there is no problem. The different placebo groups in different studies
provide independent information and network meta-analysis may in fact
increase precision (provided you have loops in your network), but this
is exactly what network meta-analysis is intended to do.

To avoid misunderstandings: What you should not do is to use a placebo
group in a multi-arm study twice in a pairwise meta-analysis without
adjustment.

For an introduction, see
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jrsm.1259/full .

Best,

Gerta

--

Dr. rer. nat. Gerta Rücker, Dipl.-Math.

Medical Faculty and Medical Center - University of Freiburg
Institute for Medical Biometry and Statistics

Stefan-Meier-Strasse 26, D-79104 Freiburg, Germany

Phone +49 (0)761 2036673
Fax   +49 (0)761 2036680

Mailruecker at imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Webwww.imbi.uni-freiburg.de/biom/