[R-meta] funnel plot(mixed-effect model) and the assumption of normality

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Sun Nov 26 22:23:00 CET 2017

Dear Angeline,

1) I assume you are referring to funnel plots drawn with the funnel() function in the metafor package. Take a look at help(funnel.rma). It says:

"For models involving moderators, the plot shows the residuals on the x-axis against their corresponding standard errors. Either the usual or deleted residuals can be used for that purpose (set via the type argument). See residuals.rma for more details on the different types of residuals."

2) The standard meta-analytic models make no assumptions about the distribution of the effect sizes across studies. Also, moderators are not assumed to be normally distributed (an obvious counterexample is a dummy variable). The distributional assumptions of the random/mixed-effects models are that the sampling distributions are normal and that the random effects are normally distributed.

As for robustness, take a look at this question and the answers:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2017-November/000353.html