[R-meta] Publication Bias

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Fri Nov 10 11:17:15 CET 2017

Dear Laura,

That is indeed quite a difference in the p-values of the two models.

Just a small note: The null hypothesis is that the plot is *symmetric* (or more precisely, that there is no relationship between the outcomes and the predictor, which by default is the standard error of the outcomes).

It is impossible to say which model is the more appropriate one in this particular case. However, with large heterogeneity, I think the simulation studies indicate that the 'rma' model approach has better control of the Type I error rate. Gerta Rücker and Guido Schwarzer have done research on these issues, so I hope they could chime in here with their insights. In fact, this article is quite relevant:

Rücker, G., Schwarzer, G., & Carpenter, J. (2008). Arcsine test for publication bias in meta-analyses with binary outcomes. Statistics in Medicine, 27(5), 746-763.

It focuses on arcsine square root transformed risk differences instead of double arcsine transformed proportions, but I think the conclusions would be very similar. To quote:

"We found that the AS-Thompson test performed better than most tests, maintaining the size comparable to that of the test by Peters et al. (unless sample sizes are small and there is no heterogeneity, where it is conservative), while having greater power than most tests including the Peters test (especially when both effect size and heterogeneity are relatively large)."

Note that "AS-Thompson" refers to using the 'rma' model.