[R-meta] Benefits to metafor when missing vi estimates?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Fri Nov 10 10:14:40 CET 2017

See below for my responses.

Correct, the value of tau^2 is constrained to 0 for studies where we do know 'vi' and it is estimated for studies where we do not know 'vi' (where instead we set 'vi' to 0). Marginally, we therefore use 'vi + 0' as the sampling variance for studies where we know 'vi' and '0 + tau^2' for studis where we do not know 'vi'.

>Would I be correct in thinking that for those points without variance
>this model behaves very similarly to the nlme model, and the main benefit
>is that I can use the provided variance for those 15% of points with
>variance included?

Correct. And since you only know 'vi' for 15% of studies, the difference should be rather small.

>Another possibility that has been suggested to me is using the data
>points with known variance to estimate one I2 for the entire dataset, and
>then using this to calculate vi. This would result in one vi value for
>the entire dataset, which seems like it has similar problems as setting
>all vi=1. Do you see benefits to an approach like this?

I don't see how I^2 has any relevance for estimating the sampling variances. But this aside, yes, one could use the known 'vi' values and compute some kind of average to plug in for the unknown 'vi' values, but this makes strong assumptions. I see no benefits to doing that.